Easy Upholstery Cleaning
Just like any other surface in your home, your upholstery is bound to get dirty at times. Dust from the air, dirt from skin, and accidental spills are all part of life for your upholstered furniture.
Seeing dirty upholstery might make you worry that your furniture pieces will never be restored to their former pristine condition, but don't get upset: there are ways to clean just about any surface you can think of. Most upholstery can be cleaned successfully.
If your upholstered furniture is beginning to look a bit dirty, or if there has been a spill on the fabric, these easy techniques can help you:
- Before you try cleaning, make sure any loose dust is removed from the upholstery. Use a duster or vacuum to get the excess dust off so the surface will be ready for cleaning. This is a good thing to do often to help maintain the cleanliness of your furniture.
- You will need a cleaning solution to help you get rid of spots, stains and dirt. There are some different possibilities to choose from here. You can buy a commercial upholstery cleaner from the store to do the job, or you can make your own cleaning solution.
- To make your own upholstery cleaning solution, one option is to mix some dish soap or laundry detergent with warm water (about ¼ cup soap to 1 cup water). Mix the solution. Use a cloth to wipe the cleaning mixture over the upholstery until suds form, then scrape away the dirty suds. Rinse the cleaned area when you are done. Be careful to test the cleaning solution on a hidden area of the upholstery first.
- If you have access to a steam cleaner, this can be another option for cleaning your upholstery. Use the steamer's upholstery attachment for best results, and be careful not to let the furniture become too wet.
- Perhaps the easiest (although not the most cost-effective) option is to hire a professional to clean your upholstery. Some furniture pieces are especially delicate and could be ruined if cleaned incorrectly. If you aren't sure if it is safe to clean a certain piece of furniture yourself, it is safer to have a professional do it for you
One of the best ways to ensure clean upholstery is to dust and vacuum often. This helps to prevent dirt from building up and causing a problem.
Remove Stubborn Stains Quickly Get everything looking clean again: Walls, floors, baseboards, counters, blinds, appliances, and more. Micro-scrubbers easily reach into surface grooves, lifting dirt away. This low-cost 8-pack is great for stubborn stains and touble areas. Check out Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 8-Pack today!
Leave your own comment:
Comments for this tip:
Cheryl Creasey 04 Aug 2014, 07:01
i have used your tips. I work in furniture and sometimes we have issues with spots. Thanks for the help Cheryl Creasey