Cleaning Jewelry Boxes
A jewelry box is a great way to store and organize your jewelry, and is a lot better than a shoebox or drawer that you just dump your trinkets in. A jewelry box allows you to carefully hang and arrange your jewelry pieces and protect them from tangles and other damage.
Over time, your jewelry box might be used often and could become dirty. Keeping the jewelry box clean on the inside is important for the safety of your jewelry, and making sure the outside stays clean will ensure that it remains beautiful and looks great for many years.
If you have a jewelry box that could use a cleaning, think about these steps before starting the job:
- First, assess what will need to be cleaned. Is the box dusty? What is the condition of the wood? Is there glass on the box that will need cleaning?
- Remove all jewelry and put it in a safe place. You don't want to leave anything inside the box. Otherwise, cleaning products could harm the jewelry, and you won't be able to do a thorough cleaning job with the jewelry in the way.
- If the jewelry box has a special cushioned compartment for rings, you'll want to get the dirt out of the grooves where the rings are placed. Get in there with a cotton swab and sweep out any loose dirt. If there is any dirt on the fabric, wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Remove lose dirt from all areas and compartments. Use a cotton swab (perhaps one that has been dampened) and get dirt and dust out of the corners. You can also use a damp cloth to pick up dirt. It may also help to use compressed air on hard-to-reach areas, or try carefully vacuuming with a small vacuum attachment.
- Many jewelry boxes are made of wood. To clean it effectively, start with a damp cloth and wipe all over the exterior, picking up dust and dirt, then dry off with a dry cloth. Another option is to use a dusting product like Endust to pick up dust and loose dirt. To do this, spray a little of the product on a rag and wipe all over the surface.
- Often, a jewelry box will have glass on the door or other parts, or perhaps a mirror. The best cleaning method for this glass is a window cleaner like Windex or a vinegar solution. Spray carefully onto the glass (or first onto a paper towel) and wipe.
- Once every part of the jewelry box has been cleaned, replace the jewelry.
Jewelry boxes are useful and beautiful, and when properly cleaned they can keep looking great for years and will effectively protect your jewelry.
The Power of Microfiber! Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths will become your favorite tool for every cleaning task. This 36-cloth package is perfect for hundreds of uses in the garage, kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and all around the house. Each cloth is tough, streak-free, lint-free, reusable, and washable. Check out Microfiber Cleaning Cloths today!
Leave your own comment:
Comments for this tip:
mevr voerman 28 Sep 2016, 08:23
I use very small plastc sacs with a kind of zip close, buy them in packets of 50, and range them in boxes a bit wider. One for 1 or 2 types of jewelry. No tangles, always clear where what should go, works a treat