Removing Stains from Walls
You cannot find a home with kids where the walls are free of the crayon marks or other marks of their artistic endeavors. Walls in average households acquire ornamentations from such varied sources as grease, smoke, wax, alcohol and even chewing gum. Fortunately, these problems can be dealt with easily with a little bit of patience. Our stain removal guide offers some easy but effective solutions to deal with the stains blemishing the walls of your home.
The dirt and filth on your walls need to be cleaned up regularly. You have to apply different remedies to different types of stains, so invest in a wide range of solvents and solutions along with a range of scrubbers, sponges, and rags to take care of specific kinds of stains.
- Mildew. Mold or mildew need to removed, not just covered in paint, or they will continue to grow. In addition to trying commercial mildew treatment solutions, you can also make your own formula to remove all traces of mildew from the walls of your home. Mix warm water and bleach in a 3:1 ratio. Soak a sponge in this solution and wipe the mildew affected areas. Also cover an extra one or two feet around the affected area so that even the smallest amounts of mildew cannot escape.
- Smoke film. Homes occupied by chain smokers tend to bear characteristic gray stains on the walls, which leave a grim look. Overcome this problem with the help of a simple homemade solution. First mix half a cup of borax with two tablespoons soap flakes, and then add one tablespoon ammonia to the mixture. Next, transfer the whole mixture to one gallon of warm water. Fill a spray bottle with the solution and spray it on the affected area. Wipe the area with a sponge to remove the grime. This method is also applicable to washable wallpapers.
- Oil. There are many easy stain removal methods that only require things that you normally keep at home. For instance, to remove a grease stain from your wall, apply a little dish washing liquid over the stain and leave it for about five minutes. Use a soft scrubber to swab the stain in a circular motion. Absorb the excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Crayon. Baking soda is a simple household product, but it works wonderfully for stain removal. To remove crayon marks from walls, first fold a piece of cloth to make a pad. Next, soak the pad with a little hand lotion. Spread a little baking soda on the lotion and rub the mixture gently over the stained area, using a circular motion. Take another piece of cloth, dip it into detergent-mixed water and wipe it on the wall to remove the lotion.
- Marker. Do not worry if your wall has been accidentally smeared by permanent marker inks. Oily marker ink can be removed by rubbing with lighter fluid, while alcohol-based ink can be removed with hair spray. Water-based markers are the easiest to remove. Apply a mixture of dishwashing liquid and a dash of color safe to the marked area to see the difference.
- Dirt. A mixture of peroxide and detergent works magically to clean the soiled areas of the wall. Spray this solution to the affected areas and wait a while. Then wipe it dry to get a clean wall.
Amy Gordon loves keeping things simple, natural, and safe so she can spend more time having fun. Every day she learns new things about making life at home easier and she loves to share it with you! Learn more about Amy...
Dealing with Cigarette Smoke
Smokers, those who live with smokers, and friends of smokers can all have problems dealing with smoke smells. Refusing to ...
Clean Your Toilet the Easy Way
There are lots of ways you can clean your toilet, without resorting to expensive toilet cleaners. The methods covered in ...
Cold-Weather Flower Gardens
While many people think that you can only have a beautiful garden in summer, you truly can have a gorgeous winter garden ...
Keep Fingerprints Off Walls
Fingerprints on walls tend to congregate around light switches and electrical outlets. To prevent these fingerprints from ...
Dust Your Wallpaper Regularly
Wallpaper, like any other home decor, needs to be dusted and cleaned on a regular basis to make a house look bright and ...
Quickly Cleaning Baseboards
Baseboards are easily overlooked when it comes to cleaning. That is until they stand out because the floor is clean and ...