Getting Rid of Skunk Odor
It seems to almost be a law of nature. If you have a pet dog, and live near a forest, then they will be curious. That curiosity will guarantee that at least once the dog will come into contact with a skunk. The results of which, can make even the most innocent bystander's eyes tear. Luckily there are several options that you can use for getting rid of skunk odor.
- Pet stores. Visit your local pet store an obtain either a bottle of either Skunk Off or Skunk Out. These products have been specifically designed to help remove the smell and odor left behind by a skunk encounter. Simply use the product as directed, which basically means giving your pet a bath and shampoo as normal with the product, and you should have no problems removing the smell.
- Tomato juice. One of the traditional methods for removing skunk odor is to use tomato juice. Since you will need to purchase a lot of tomato juice in order to give your pet a bath, you may want to consider purchasing some from your local warehouse grocery store (such as Costco, Price Club, or Sam's Club). It is the inherent acidic nature of the tomato juice that kills the smell.
- Pineapple juice. If you don't like tomato juice, you can always use pineapple juice. What you are basically looking for is the slightly acidic nature that is found in these juices. Once again, you will need to purchase enough juice in order to be able to give your dog a bath.
- Vet. Most vets will give the pet a detox bath. It might be a good idea anyway to call your vet, if the dogs ever get sprayed in the eyes it can cause blindness. If a dog gets sprayed in the eyes, get the dog an emergency vet visit!
- Home grooming. Dog shampoo, rock salt (add until the crystals stop dissolving), 4-gallons of tomato juice and 20 lemon's. You have to breakdown the surface tension of the skunk spray (same principle as dropping a Mentos candy drop in a bottle of soda). Be extra careful to keep each ingredient out of the pet's ears, nose, and eyes. pre-cut the lemons into halves, and dab Vicks Vapor rub onto a disposable face mask for yourself. Dissolve 2-cups of rock salt in warm water and douse your pet. Next, use half the tomato juice per pet and work it the fur (use a juice soaked wash cloth for the top of their head so as to protect their ears & eyes). Next, work in the lemons and add a few drops of dog shampoo as you go along. Finally, towel dry your pet whose skunk smell should be significantly reduced.
Although you may be a dog lover, your canine friend may make messes that you don't appreciate. Clean up after your dog ...
Unfortunately, even trained cats have accidents sometimes. Get the urine out of various surfaces with these methods.
Cats tend to be fairly clean, but they can sometimes leave messes around the house. Make sure you know how to clean up ...