Cleaning Dirty Pool Water
Written by Lee Wyatt (last updated June 24, 2019)
Cleaning dirty pool water is often times more of an art than it could ever be a science, particularly after a pool has been sitting unused for a season. Usually during such times it can seem that nothing will ever get that pool clean, no matter what it is that you try. In times like these, it often seems best to simply throw in the towel, and get rid of it all. However, that is often more expensive than simply cleaning the water. Instead of allowing this problem to stress you out, take a look at these methods for cleaning dirty pool water. You will be surprised at just how easy it really can be to get that water clean. Best of all, each of these methods have been proven to work when all else fails.
- Use some cyanuric acid. Sometimes chlorine alone simply will not cut it when cleaning exceptionally dirty pool water. Often you will be able to recognize these times fairly easily by simply by paying attention to the amount of chlorine that you use. If you notice that you are putting more chlorine into the pool than you should be, then chances are this is because it is dissipating too quickly in the sunlight. Add a little bit of a chemical that acts as a chlorine loss retardant which is called cyanuric acid. This can be purchased at just about any pool supply store, though you will want to be sure that you follow the directions carefully.
- Don't forget to check the filter. Often one of the main reasons for dirty pool water is that the filter isn't working properly. The best way to combat this is by periodically checking and replacing whatever you use as a filter. If you don't you will find yourself in an ongoing guessing game as to whether or not the pool water is actually clean. To really know the particulars and indicators of when you need to replace the pool filter, take a look at your owner's manual. Inside you will find the proper method for checking the filter, as well as how you go about changing it.
- Get the water professionally tested. While this method can be a little more expensive, initially, for cleaning dirty pool water it can also save you money in the long run. All you really need to do is get a small sample of your water and take it to your local pool store. The water can be tested there, and then suggest the best possible method for you to get your water clean. Follow the suggestions that the professional can tell you, but be sure that nothing you do will compromise your warranty so double check with your owner's manual. This will also help ensure that you do not accidentally cause any accidental damage.
- Check your suction. Another common reason for having problems getting pool water clean is that there is something wrong with the suction line. A leak in this line can potentially create a situation known as a back flow. In this situation the dirty water ends up contaminating the rest of the pool water instead of getting cleaned. When or if, you find such a leak you need to get it repaired as quickly as possible. In the event that you don't repair the leak you will never get the dirty pool water cleaned.
- Get a professional. In the event that nothing you have tried works, there is still one option left—get a professional. Keep in mind that when you have a professional come you tell them every thing that you have done, as well as what the results of those actions were. This will not only help the repairman save time, it will also save you a lot of money. After all, with repairmen time is literally money. Best of all, repairmen often come with guaranteed results.
Contributor of numerous Tips.Net articles, Lee Wyatt is quickly becoming a regular "Jack of all trades." He is currently an independent contractor specializing in writing and editing. Contact him today for all of your writing and editing needs! Click here to contact. Learn more about Lee...
Building Window Planters
Building window planters are a wonderful, and relatively inexpensive, way to add curb appeal to any home. Here is a step ...
Damages Caused by Cockroaches
Cockroaches are more than a tad disgusting, they can also potentially cause some damage around your home. Knowing what ...
Deciding on What to Plant
For many people deciding on what to plant in their garden can be one of the most difficult steps to creating a new garden ...
Easily Cleaning Your Barbecue
Just because your barbecue goes outside, doesn't mean you don't need to clean it. Keeping your grill clean will help you ...
Maintaining Aluminum Fences
An aluminum fence is pretty convenient, with low- to no-maintenance and a pleasant look. There are a few things you can ...
Keeping Pool Water Sparkling Clean
Clearing away obvious dirt and debris will help keep your pool water sparkling clean, but you also need to test your ...